Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I'll Start With a Muffin

I've been pondering my kitchen responsibilities lately and have come to the conclusion that it's high past time for me to step it up on the health front. Not that I've been cooking with lard or anything and I don't keep a tin of bacon grease on the back of the stove. (Although that does bring back some delicious childhood memories!)

I'm trying to choose more natural ingredients and less processed ones. I'm trying to amp up the fiber and cut out some fat. I had some bananas going dark tonight and decided to peruse Pinterest for some new recipes so I could use up the bananas before they started calling in the gnats. I found one I liked, and by "liked" I mean it had ingredients I had on hand. I'm a bit lazy that way. I changed it up a little though because I wanted to add some more fiber.

So here's what my version looked like:

1 1/2 cup oat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup palm coconut sugar
1/4 cup flax seed
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
3/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp honey
1 cup banana mash

I mixed all of the dry ingredients together in one bowl while my KitchenAid mixed the wet ingredients.  After the wet ingredients looked well mixed I slowly started adding the dry ingredients. I let the mixer stir until everything was just barely mixed. I didn't want to overwork the oats.
I filled my muffin tin with cute colored paper cups - but you could totally use ugly ones so long as there are twelve. I poured the mixture into the muffin cups and baked for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Super yum and super fiber filled for the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment