Friday, December 26, 2014

Technology Goal

Our Christmas vacation has been marred a bit by technology. On Monday, Chuck bought a wifi extender. It was supposed to be no big deal they said. It was supposed to be an easy installation they said. It would allow every room of our house receive strong, fast signals they said. Hmmm. Technology is not always everything it's cracked up to be.
Santa brought the kids Disney's Infinity 2.0 with all the Marvel Avengers. It would've been awesome had our Play Station 3 not needed an update and Play Station hadn't been hacked. The update took hours. Hours are more manageable for an adult than for 9 and 11 year old kids.
This morning, over breakfast, my daughter said, "I wonder what Bible times would've been like if everyone had laptops and smart phones. Do you think people like Paul would've been able to talk to more people about Jesus? Like maybe he could have just texted his friends to come over to grill some burgers and talk about Jesus."
Hmmm. As I cleaned up the kitchen I couldn't help but think about that possibility. The Nativity? Selfies of Mary and Baby Jesus? Joseph taking Instagram photos with soft vignettes and hashtags #blessedbabymomma #sonofgod ?
I shook that one off.
Sermon on the Mount live streaming? Fishes and loaves miracle on YouTube? Pentecost via Skype?
Technology has changed our lives for the better in so many areas but we rely so heavily on it that the slightest glitch seem to render us practically useless. Shelby's question made me think about Paul, and all the others on mission in the bible, and how good they were at being present. They loved the ones they could while they could where they could.
One of my goals for 2015 is to be more present. To put my phone down, close the laptop cover, and look into the eyes of those around me. I want to show love where it's needed and receive love when it's given. To make the best of technology when I can but not be ruled by it. What are some of your goals for next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment